Tom and Jerry: Defenders of All Things Right and Good

Saturday, May 26, 2007

Ads on METRO #11: Alley Cats

I saw an add for an organization dedicated to saving the lives of alley cats. Their mission:


Alley Cat Allies is dedicated to advocating for nonlethal methods to reduce outdoor cat populations.

They document the following travesty:

More cats are intentionally killed in the United States than die from any other documented cause.

Who is responsible? The vast majority of these killings are perpetrated not by cruel individuals, but by and with the authority of an antiquated animal control system. These killings are performed by government employees and contractors, and spill over to private shelter employees.

Oh the horror! Those poor homeless cats who otherwise would be living fruitful lives dumpster diving, screaming at two in the morning and leaving their urine and feces everywhere, are humanely and mercifully put to sleep. Yes, we must all rally together to save them! Good riddance.

I have a particular disdain for homeless cats. I had no less than fourteen of them living under my house for almost two years. My next door neighbor fed them, and we could not trap them fast enough to keep their population down.

I suppose if people want to spend their money capturing alley cats, neutering them, vaccinating them, and releasing them back into "the wild," then that is their choice. I can think of better ways to spend my money. Using twenty dollar bills to pick up the poop these cats leave behind would be money better spent.