Tom and Jerry: Defenders of All Things Right and Good

Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Ads on METRO #1: The Light is On For You

I see interesting ads on my commute to work. Many of them have inspired blog ideas, so I've decided to start a regular post on the subject. This week's post is appropriate for the Lenten season.

The Archdiocese of Washington posted this ad on METRO cars. Their program, entitled "The Light is on for You", calls Catholics back to the faith with something truly innovative: the sacrament of reconciliation. That's right. No gimmicks, no frills, no support groups, nothing except the forgiveness of sins and the promise of eternal life.

On Wednesdays, from 7:00 pm to 8:30 pm, parishes across the Archdiocese offer confession. The program's website carries a pastoral letter and a step by step guide to the sacrament.

Will it work? I believe so. Nothing calls people home like forgiveness and salvation. I asked a local priest how it was going. He told me he's heard some very good confessions.

Bravo to the Archbishop of Washington for getting back to basics...and if you live in the D.C. area:

Labels:

5 Comments:

  • Tom,

    Back when I was metroing in for a paycheck I was once handed a brochure with the same saying. I said great... I'm gonna go... then as I was passing a co-worker's office that was Catholic, I dropped it off in her in-box with a note from me saying I was going and to buz me if she wanted to go.

    She buzzed me, we went and when I went in for confession the priest asked me if I was the "angel". I didn't understand. He explained that my co-worker hadn't been to confession in over 20 years and that my handing her the brochure prompted her to come back. So many angels at work that day... huh?

    So I say kudos to them too that they are still keeping it up.

    Kim

    p.s. Jeanine and Kim did go to mass.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Wednesday, March 14, 2007 5:08:00 PM  

  • I've heard this ad, I actually heard it on my way to Youth Group! Never in my life have I heard Catholics advertise in any way, shape, or form, but I always wondered why other religions did. We discussed it at the meeting for a few minutes, about whether or not the advertising would work. It ended up being pretty evenly split...

    -Justine

    P.S. Jeanine and Kim went to Mass...and they're going BACK! :)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Thursday, March 15, 2007 10:27:00 PM  

  • Good for Jeanie and Kim. :)

    By Blogger Tom, at Thursday, March 15, 2007 11:10:00 PM  

  • ok so you've officially inspired me. I've set up a blog with my friend julie...very cool stuff...

    www.julienjustine.blogspot.com

    :)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Thursday, March 15, 2007 11:23:00 PM  

  • "metroing in" Listen to you - all citified. Miss you!

    By Blogger Diane Libro, at Friday, March 16, 2007 5:00:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home