Tom and Jerry: Defenders of All Things Right and Good

Saturday, March 03, 2007

Return of the V-logs

Last weekend, my sweetheart and I found ourselves driving a teen to a play in downtown Tacoma. She was going to take the city bus to her destination, but we thought we'd save her the trouble. On the way, she informed us she and her drama class were going to hear "The Vagina Monologues."

She told us she wanted to get a "my vagina is angry" button.

So I asked the obvious question, "Is yours angry?"

She replied, "No"

"Then why do you want the button?"

"I just think it's cool."

I suppose latching on to the latest fad is better than accepting Eve Ensler's message. It is a shame having an "angry vagina" is the cool thing in her high school.

A psychologist friend of mine who is not catholic and would not necessarily find the licentiousness of the play morally offensive, still did not like it. She thought all of the negativity and anger in the play was "unhealthy." I agree. The last thing the young and innocent need is to harbor anger, especially the kind promulgated by radical feminism.

Women have just cause to be concerned about the way they are treated in today's culture. Many women have been harmed by the lust of men. I am very sorry for that. Early feminists attempted to correct the problem by demanding more from men, and their men rose to the occasion.

Modern feminists of Eve Ensler's ilk have taken a different approach. Instead of demanding more from men, they demand less from themselves. Instead of insisting men not give in to their lusts, they have given into lust themselves. They have sought to be equals in the sexual revolution and it has hurt them badly. Contraception, abortion, no-fault divorce and free love have made it easier for men to use and abuse women sexually.

Assuming a woman gives her consent, and far too many do, a man can sleep with a woman, use abortion and/or contraception to avoid children, and then dump her with no consequences. That is a problem.

Eve Ensler's solution is to get angry, swear off men all together and become a lesbian (heterosexual sex is never treated positively in the v-logs). Encouraging young women to get angry is not the answer to happy relations between the sexes.

Encouraging women to respect themselves, to recognize and be the beautiful prizes that they are, and to demand more from the men in their lives is the answer. Men will step up.

Ladies, expect more and you'll get it.

Saint Katharine Drexel, pray for us.

5 Comments:

  • Yikes. Female anger of the body parts....is this what I have to look forward to?

    "Honey, my eyes are angry at you for having to watch football all weekend. You left your clothes on the floor and I banged my shins on the table when I tripped over them, so they're angry at you to. My mouth is angry because, on your nights to cook dinner, you've made hot dogs and mac-n-cheese 7 times in two weeks. My butt is angry because it sat on your Playstation 2 controller that you left on the couch. You gave the dog extra treats, and now my feet are angry because they have to walk her extra far to burn off all her extra fat.....

    Oh, my vagina is angry, too, because Eve Ensler says it should be...."

    Like I said, yikes.

    By Blogger Jerry, at Sunday, March 04, 2007 1:21:00 PM  

  • .....wow

    so i showed this to my friends and we are all pretty much in agreement that the transformation from book to play for this particualr piece is pretty high on the ridiculous scale....

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Wednesday, March 07, 2007 3:12:00 PM  

  • just a quick edit on my comment:

    definitely NOT a fad at my school hahaha....

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Wednesday, March 07, 2007 3:14:00 PM  

  • Justine-

    "the transformation from book to play for this particualr piece is pretty high on the ridiculous scale..."

    I wasn't aware there is a book. How does it differ from the play?

    For what it's worth, my rather orthodox Catholic fiance saw the play a few years ago and she got some positive messages out of it. Of course, she is "always find the good in everything" kind of gal; you could plop her down in a pile of horse manure and she would excitely exclaim "There's got to be a pony in here somewhere!!" This explains, I believe, how she could be dating me.....

    By Blogger Jerry, at Thursday, March 08, 2007 10:43:00 AM  

  • There is some good in the "Vagina Monologues." Ensler's treatment of mother hood is okay. She also encourages women to have a positive body image and raises awareness about domestic violence. However, you have to dig through a pile of manure to get to the good stuff.

    You can get straight to the good stuff in John Paul's II "Theology of the Body"

    By Blogger Tom, at Thursday, March 08, 2007 6:02:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home